Key Issues and Publications
A selection of useful resources on all major activities undertaken by UNHCR in Canada.
Photo: © UNHCR/Georgina Goodwin
Canada and the world
- UNHCR Canada Fact Sheet (August 2019)
- Protection and Solutions in the North of Central America and Mexico: An Appeal to Canada (December 2018)
- Report of the Forum on Refugees and Chronic Disease (September 2018) (Français)
- UNHCR Population Statistics Database – A breakdown of the latest figures showing the number of people of concern (refugees, asylum-seekers, displaced and stateless persons) in each country.
- UNHCR Global Focus Database – A breakdown of UNHCR operations worldwide by region, country and theme. Also details UNHCR financial information, budgets and donor contributions.
- REFWorld – A database with country information such as national laws and regulations, case law, policy documents, handbooks and training manuals. (REFWorld también está disponible en español)
- Statelessness in Canada: A Study on the Situation of Stateless Persons in Canada (September 2019)
- Compatibility of the 1954 Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons in Canada’s Legal Framework and its International Human Rights Obligations – Researched and written for UNHCR by Gregg Erauw (June 2015)
- What to Know About Irregular Border Crossings (July 2019) (Français)
- Irregular Arrivals at the Border January – May 2019: Background Information (June 2019) (Français)
- Irregular Arrivals at the Border – Background Information – 2018 (March 2019)
- Irregular Arrivals at the Border – 2017: Background Information (June 2018)
Detention and alternatives to detention
Parliamentary submissions and comments (select submissions)
Judicial interventions (select cases)
- B010 v. Minister of Citizenship and Immigration (No. 35388), Jesus Rodriguez Hernandez v. Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness (No. 35677), B306 v. Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness (No. 35685) and J.P. et al. v. Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness (No. 35688) – Factum of the Intervener, The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (2 February 2015)
- Supreme Court of Canada, Febles vs. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), Docket:35215, Factum of the Intervener, The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (11 March 2014)
- Supreme Court of Canada, Ezokola vs. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), Docket:34470, Factum of the Intervener, The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (17 December 2012)
Complementary pathways to admission to third countries
Please help refugee families in need.