Ramadan is a month of compassion, renewal and service. Imagine Ramadan for those who are refugees, and imagine how you can help.
Photo: © UNHCR/Ed Ou
As Muslims gather in their homes around the world, many refugee families are observing the holy month of Ramadan in refugee camps. This Ramadan, join us in helping 100 refugee families from Ramadan to Ramadan by supporting the UNHCR’s cash assistance program.
With a $2,500 CAD donation, you will be providing a refugee family of five for 12 months.
Refugee families can use cash assistance funds to purchase food, clothing, pay rent, cover transportation costs to and from school or even seed money for a small business. All eligible contributions will be dedicated to supporting refugee families for one year, giving them back the dignity to make important financial decisions based on their family’s needs.
Your support this Ramadan will be a symbol of solidarity and hope to the most vulnerable refugees. Thank you in advance for your generosity, let it inspire like-minded philanthropists, organizations, corporations, and foundations to join you in making a positive impact in the lives of refugee families across the world.
Make your special gift through online donations, cheque, a monthly pledge, Zakat designation and Sadaqah anytime during the month of Ramadan. By doing so, we also offer sponsorship and customized recognition opportunities for your generosity.
Join us for these virtual Imagine Ramadan events
Film Screening of I am Rohingya followed by Directors Q & A
Date: 06 May 2020
Time: 2:00 pm
A powerful documentary that chronicles the journey of 14 Rohingya refugees in Kitchener Waterloo, ON. This film chronicles the journey of 14 young Rohingya refugees now living in Canada as they re-enact the harrowing experiences of their families in Myanmar and beyond.
This screening will be Followed by a Q&A with Director Yusuf Zine & Cinematographer Kevin Young, as well as some members of the cast.
Stand Up for Refugees, a hilarious virtual comedy experience
Date: 16 May 2020
Time: 9:30 pm
Stand Up for Refugees is back! Join us for a night of humor & heart with some of the best stand-up comedians. For it’s second year, Stand Up for Refugees will be happening but this time virtually via Zoom. Register now to receive Zoom meeting details.
A message from the Advisory Council
What does cash assistance mean?
- By ensuring their basic needs, cash assistance helps prevent thousands of refugees who are restricted from working in their host country from facing severe hardship and resorting to desperate survival strategies such as pulling children out of school, child labour and begging, resorting to survival sex, early marriage or returning to war zones.
- It helps refugees to improve their social networks by allowing them to repay loans from family, neighbours, and landlords and thereby reduces household tensions.
- It provides support to those most in need. In the case of Syria, this often means the single mothers who face cultural, legal and childcare obstacles when trying to find work, or the families taking care of orphaned children, in already difficult circumstances.
- It benefits the local economy as refugees become customers at local shops and markets.
How does the cash asssistance program work?
- Refugees who register with UNHCR have their irises scanned, acting as a unique form of identification. Based on this assessment UNHCR identifies families in need of cash assistance. Once identified, families, can withdraw their cash assistance using more than 100 ATMs that are equipped with iris scan technology, thus ensuring full transparency and preventing fraud..
How does UNHCR make sure that cash assistance sent to families is well spent?
- UNHCR continuously monitors cash recipients, assessing their vulnerabilities and quality of living and follow up with the families through home visits. UNHCR was one of the first UN agencies to employ cash-based assistance in the mid-80s and has developed in-depth expertise in this field. Over the years, we have seen its remarkable effect on the life of refugees and forcibly displaced people
Imagine compassion without action. Imagine Ramadan without giving.
This Ramadan, take action and give to help refugee families in need.
We made plenty of opportunities available to feature our sponsors during and after Ramadan. We offer four different packages, each with their own unique perks and benefits.
* Kindly note that this proposal will likely undergo many adjustments leading up to the event.
Please help refugee families in need.