Beautifully illustrated, Barikan tells of a story about an encounter with her mother. As a young girl, Barikan had wished for her mother to buy her shoes. In response, her mother encouraged her to get an education and become an independent woman so she could buy shoes for herself.
Areas of interest
Asylum Seekers Burundi Canada CAR Children Cricket DRC Education Egypt Emergency Response Facebook Food Crisis Greece Health HIV/AIDS Hungary Iraq Ireland Kenya Mediterranean Mosul Myanmar nansen nansen award Nepal Earthquake Nigeria Nobody Left Outside Olympics Paralympics Philippines Rebuilding Lives refugees Resettlement South Sudan Statelessness Syria Team Refugee team refugees Ukraine unhcr West Africa Winter World Refugee Day Yemen Youth
Popular News Stories
- UNHCR opens new Iraq camp amid Mosul displacement
- Q&A: A survivor breaks her silence
- UNHCR to governments: People fleeing war to be considered refugees
- Ending Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) – UNHCR Acts
- Burning trash to keep warm in Syrian cut off town
- Quel avenir pour des milliers de réfugiés syriens au camp de Zaatari en Jordanie ?