Leave a Legacy
Your Humanitarian Legacy
By leaving a bequest to UNHCR Canada, you will know that whenever the time comes, you will be directing your generosity to future displaced people who are most in need of protection and humanitarian assistance. The decision to make a legacy gift is a deeply meaningful and highly personal one. If you have any questions or would like to discuss your planned giving options, please contact our Fundraising Officer, Tara Graham, at 416 926 7961 or email email@example.com. We want to assure you that your communication with us will be discreet and that your privacy will be protected.
Personal and practical benefits of leaving a humanitarian legacy:
- An estate plan gives you peace of mind that your final wishes will be fulfilled. Once you have considered the needs of your loved ones, you may also wish to consider leaving a humanitarian legacy gift to UNHCR Canada.
- Planning your legacy can offer significant tax benefits; an official tax receipt can be used to offset the tax payable on your estate’s final tax return, and the year preceding.
- You will have the satisfaction of knowing that your generosity will protect refugees and others who are forced to flee their homes due to war or persecution.
How to include UNHCR in your Will
Our legal name is:
UNHCR Representation in Canada
Amending your will:
You do not necessarily have to re-write your entire will in order to make a bequest. Wills can be amended by means of a simple clause called a codicil. Below are a few examples of codicil language that you may wish to consider if you are thinking of making a bequest.
Types of planned gifts:
- Percentage of Estate: “I give to UNHCR Representation in Canada __________ per cent of the value of my estate to be used for its general purposes.”
- Residual Gift: “I give to UNHCR Representation in Canada one hundred percent (100%) of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate for its general purposes.”
- Fixed Amount Gift: “I give to UNHCR Representation in Canada the sum of $___________ to be used for its general purposes.”
The information provided is general in nature. UNHCR Canada strongly encourages all donors who are planning a legacy gift to seek advice from their financial advisor or lawyer. All significant financial decisions should also be made in consultation with family members or heirs.