Home > Donor Zone
Our donors make all the difference
Welcome to UNHCR Canada's Donor Zone, an online resource for donors and supporters of the UN Refugee Agency. Donors make all the difference to UNHCR and the refugees we work to protect. Voluntary contributions from governments, individuals, corporations and humanitarian community groups make up 97% of our total budget, and the funds directly assist more than 19 million refugees.
As a UNHCR donor you can take pride that you are directly helping refugees overseas. You can trust in an agency that has been in the business of protecting refugees for over 50 years: Ask any refugee - they will know who we are. UNHCR is currently on the ground in 116 countries, and with 90% of your donation going directly to the field, you can be there with us.
31 December 2012 is the deadline to qualify for a 2012 tax receipt.
- Help us reduce mailing costs by choosing an electronic subscription to 'With You'
- Update your donor information: Contact us at 1-877-232-0909 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or use our secure online form.
- Moving? Changing email addresses?
Have questions about a gift to UNHCR?
Contact us at 1-877-232-0909 or send an email to email@example.com
- Read current and back issues of With You
- Find out how to get involved in fundraising in Canada
- Stay informed ... subscribe to our Refuge-Enet electronic newsletter
How is UNHCR different from CARE, Oxfam, or World Vision?
Does UNHCR trade its donor list?
Why doesn't UNHCR have a Charitable Registration Number?
Can I donate clothes, or books, or our tent?
These are just some of the questions asked by our donors that are answered in this short publication, designed to answer some of the touch questions posed to our volunteers and staff at UNHCR Canada.
Would you like to support UNHCR's special events or help spread the word about refugees and other people of concern to us?
There are many ways that you can contribute and participate. Here are some ideas:
- Ask a teacher to dedicate the week running up to World Refugee Day (June 20) to discuss refugee issues in the classroom.
- Host a World Refugee Day party - screen a topical film about the forcibly displaced, celebrate multiculturalism.
- Organize a discussion at your home, place of worship, or community centre on refugee issues. Contact the UNHCR office nearest to your hometown and ask for ideas, and maybe a speaker - a refugee, possibly.
- Hold a debate on a topic important to you - Who is a refugee? What rights do refugees have? What is shelter? What can individuals/communities do to help?
Please visit our events page for more ideas and information on how you can support UNHCR and help spread the word.
Your Online Transactions are Secure
To ensure your payment information is secure we use the Paypaq™ Payment Solutions Gateway. The Paypaq™ Payment Solutions Gateway processes your credit card information securely in real time using the latest available encryption technology. This means your payment information cannot be read as it travels over the Internet to your credit issuing institution. Paypaq™ Payment Solutions is compliant under Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI). Look for the unbroken key or locked lock on your browser's status bar (typically on the bottom right hand side) to ensure you are submitting your payment information on a secure form. To ensure the security of your personal information you have been taken to a secure form on a secure server hosted by our payment provider.
The UN Refugee Agency regularly sends mail in order to inform our donors and prospective donors about our latest appeals. View some of our recent mailings, one of which you may have received. Find out how you can help ...
WithYou is UNHCR's semi-annual newsletter that highlights the work UNHCR has performed for refugees around the world, as well as in-depth interviews with field workers who make it all happen. WithYou is now available in PDF download or Online format.