Home > Current Appeals
When you read in the newspapers or watch on TV about the latest human displacement crisis unfolding in some deprived or conflict-ridden corner of the world, do you find yourself thinking - how can I help? UNHCR offers a simple and reliable way for people to reach out and make a real difference for those left with nothing after being forced to flee their homes. In 2012, we received over $1.8 million in contributions from Canadian donors, including individual citizens like yourself - it made a big difference.
Current Emergency Appeals
- An estimated 15 million people have been affected by Super Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines on 8 November 2013. According to authorities, 4.13 million remain displaced from their homes.
Read all news stories related to Philippines
- The current Syria crisis erupted in 2011; since then, 2 million Syrians have fled to neighbouring countries in search of safety, 1 million of whom are children. By year-end, it is estimated that half of Syria's population will be in need of aid.
Read all news stories related to Syria Crisis
- Renewed conflict since March 2012 has caused further deterioration of an already dire humanitarian situation. Hundreds of thousands of people have been forced to flee and abandon their homes, some families having even been displaced more than once.
Read all news stories related to DRC crisis
- Since clashes erupted in northern Mali in early 2012, hundreds of thousands of people have been forced to flee their homes. The hostilities have added to the woes of the civilian population, already severely affected by the drought and food insecurity.
Read all news stories related to Mali Crisis
- After gaining independence in July 2011, South Sudan confronts major political and socio-economic challenges. Efforts to transform the country into a functional State have been beset by inter-communal violence, rebellions by militia groups and localized conflicts over land and natural resources. The mass arrival of returnees from Sudan and elsewhere in Africa has added to the pressure.
Read all news stories related to South Sudan crisis